A month into the process of rehabbing our 80 unit building in Emporia, we’ve now just re-launched the new Courtyard Apartments. There hasn’t been time to complete many major upgrades yet, but we’ve done an awful lot of work on small things that add up to a big overall improvements. Part of the marketing campaign involves getting out into the community and making it known what good work we’re doing with Courtyard and how it is no longer the complex it used to be. One aspect of this is publicizing our activities with the press and community chamber of commerce. Our grand re-opening even made it into the news. What other kind of things have been done so far?
- new, well trained and responsive onsite management and maintenance staff with regular hours
- an actual marketing campaign
- Exterior and interior common area painting, adding a nice color splash
- replacement of old unsightly shingling
- trash removal
- some basic landscaping
- awning installation along the street side
- new signage
- spraying for bugs
- replacement of worn-down, rotten stairs, banisters, window sills, etc.
These items really combine to create a much better impression of the property, whether passing along the street, stopping in the office to find out more, touring the property and units, or making it your new residence. There are still many identified items in the pipeline to be repaired or improved, but so far we’ve already changed the entire feel of the property. It may be trite to say, but many times even just doing the little things to show that you care about the building and the experience for the tenants makes a huge difference. Of course, it’s important not to stop there!
Remember, the value you create is yours!